Sunday, December 21, 2008

Toys for Tots

So as most, if not all, of you know I am in the Marine Corps and they are the sponsors of the Toys for Tots toy drive. Last weekend was my drill weekend, and I was privileged to help with the collections of toys and donations. I have to say it was amazing how generous people can be.

On the first day I was in the median of a street for only about two hours and I would guess I collected between $500-1000. One guy even gave us a check for $150. All total we collected about $18,000 in the first day.

That doesn't even include the thousands of toys that got dropped off, and they were not all cheap. People were dropping off bikes and remote control cars, and everything you could imagine pretty much.

On the second day I had to leave at noon, and they were already up to $11,000 and tons more toys.

It was so cool to me to see that even in these tough times people were still throwing in 20's and even an occassional 50 or 100. It was also mostly people driving average cars, and not the people in Lexus's and BMW's. It really made me happy to see how generous they all could be.

If you want to donate to a charity and don't know where to give, I would highly recommend donating to Toys for Tots. It goes to kids that really need it. I have personally known people that have benefited from it, and it is a great charity.

No comments: